Topics > Tech

Rich's 1993 190E 2.6 (no more Super Beetle)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Rich:
So here are the events of the past two days on the beetle. (I should preface this with saying that the previous owner really messed up the wiring on this thing)

So i went to pep boys to get a new air filter yesterday.... I go to leave, turn the key and nothing.... no lights, no radio, NOTHING. so I start thinking that my battery died some how in the last 5 min, untill I see smoke billowing out of the engine bay.

Turns out that a poorly spliced wire shorted to the block, and all of the wires in the engine bay melted to the point of ALMOST bursting into flames. So I rewire the motor in the parking lot, and drive home with no brake lights (those wires melted too)

I got up early today and re did the whole back end of the wire harness. got it running good and not on fire! Drove over to my buddy Dan's house and lowered the front about an 1 1/2''

Started driving home and the transmission COMPLETELY crapped out on me. I have a new trans being delivered as i type right now, so i hope to have it back on the road my monday.

anyway, a couple of before and after shots-
BEFORE

AFTER

72superguy:
how did u go about lowering the front? i have a 71 1 super also

Rich:
i actually just cut the springs. my struts are blown though, so it would have been easier to just take the springs off. if i can find some sorter struts that might work, ill try it. for right now, its low and rough, but i would like it to be low and smooth.

until i can find a storter strut from another application that might work, this is as low as a super will go (unless you bag it)

chencho:

--- Quote from: 72superguy on May 01, 2010, 12:54:57 PM ---how did u go about lowering the front? i have a 71 1 super also

--- End quote ---

Welcome to the forum! Depending on your wallet, you can go with drop coils or coilovers and dial-in the height you're looking for. If you flip the tie rods, you can get even lower without having to do any notching. 

Here's a good thread about the topic: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3526270

72superguy:
Heres a website thats just for super beetle suspension... http://www.toplineparts.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version