Author Topic: Help me slam my 64 Bay.  (Read 12941 times)

Fooksy

• View Profile
Help me slam my 64 Bay.
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:26:27 AM »
Hey every1,

Im Ryan from the land down under, and i freakin love the look of the rustic slammed VW bus, i own a 73camper and a 74micobus and to start with i wanna slam the hell out the 74!!!!

To be honest i dont know jack shit!!! There are so many thingz i dont know!!!

For starters,
1. Is bagging it even possible?   
2. What is the best size rim/mag so i can drop it? (weather bags or just lowering)

Need all the help and advise i can get peeps!???!

ill try n get some pics up soon!

Fooksy.

chencho

• Global Moderator
  • Soy el chingon
    • View Profile
Re: Help me slam my 64 Bay.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:10:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum Ryan,

Bags are possible on a Bay but as expected, are costly. You can fabricate your own or get a complete narrowed front beam that's already set-up with the air system. The rear is not so simple and will require a lot of additional work including notching the frame, building bag mounts etc... Wheel sizes are really up to preference. You can go lower with a 15 inch rim but the look of 17's tucked nicely under the fender is dope as well.

I would suggest a static drop... Lowered spindles, adjustable, narrowed front beam with horseshoe plates in the rear.  You can get pretty low with this set-up and it's by far cheaper. If you notch the frame in the rear and tub the front, you can get even lower. I'll post some links for you shortly.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:19:47 PM by chencho »

Fooksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:03:24 AM »
Hey Chencho,

Your an absolute legend! i need all the advice i can get. Ive been talking to another bloke who has said that just lowering it would be the better option. Ive heard the law here is you hav to be able to fit a coke can underneath anywhere of the car (thats why i wanted bags) but yeah, maybe not worth it?!?!  These links would be bloody fantastic if you hav the time.

chencho

• Global Moderator
  • Soy el chingon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 01:14:27 AM »
Here's a few links to Wagenswest located in the states.

Narrowed, adjustable beam: http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/bus-front-suspension/1968-79-narrowed-vw-bus-beam.html
Lowered spindles: http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/1968-79-dropped-2-5-inch-spindles.html
Horse Shoe plates for the rear: http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/root-category/1968-79-4-5-inch-rear-drop-plates.html

If you cant go that low, you might want to just try the dropped spindles and nothing else in the front. It's cheap and easy, but not a lot of drop. You can also re-adjust the spring rate in the rear to lower the back at no cost at all. Having to be able to fit a coke can under a vehicle is a pretty stiff law. I can't imagine the principal and reasoning behind that... In the states we can lay frame if we want.

Fooksy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:57:25 AM »
Thanks heaps for the links mate, i appreciate ur time n effort!!! I'll check em out now!
It's a bullshit rule, i cant work out the logic behind it either?!?! but thats why ive been thinkin bout bags!
But ill check out these links n go from there! will let you know wat i do n ill get some pic up as soon as i can.
Thanks for everything, you've been al ot of help!!! :cheers: